Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Michelle's dad passed away on Friday and we were down in Calgary for the funeral. It was a hard time but there were some things I will definitely always remember. Pallas especially was amazing, she and Naia stayed with me in Edmonton the first night while Michelle went down to take care of some details, then we drove down on Sunday.
Naia was sick and mostly just sucked her thumb and stared forlornly. Pallas asked quite a few questions, like "What's a funeral?" "It's where we go to say good-bye to Papa Zunic forever." "But I don't wanna say good-bye forever, I want Papa Zunic to get better." "I'm sorry, sweety, that's not how it works." "But but, who's gonna be Uncle Steve and mommy's daddy now?" "No one, sweetheart."
Later she decided to sing a song, called the Going to Calgary song. It went like this: "Don't be sad, we're going to Calgary tomorrow. Don't be sad, we're going to see mommy." and repeat. I told her it was a great song, the only thing was, we were actually going to Calgary that very day, not tomorrow. "I know Dad, that's just how the song goes."
At the funeral she actually appointed herself an usher, more or less, hadning out one of those memorial cards to all the guests as they came in. She even told me to go back to what I was doing because she was busy working. Anyways, the funeral was good.

No comments: