Monday, September 24, 2012

I know you want to borrow my copy of A Feast For Crows by George RR Martin, but you can't. Because it's a signed first edition. Greenwood's Bookstore brought him in waay back in 2006 or so. Michelle and I used to live quite close to Greenwood's so we spent a lot of time there on dates. Yup, for us, going to a bookstore is a great date. And an expensive one . . . though in a good way. Michelle was even known to be a little star-struck when she saw Laurie Greenwood in the store (though she hasn't actually owned it for a few years now). Anyway, it was announced or revealed that it's closing. Yet another independent bookstore casualty. Everyone thought it would be the big box stores that killed them off but I think it was the Kindle and iPad that did it in the end.
And actually, one of the last remaining used bookstores in Edmonton is also closing down, more for not having anywhere to move to in October when their lease expires forever. Belgravia Books and Treasure. This one makes me even more sad, I think. Richard always always always asks about Michelle and Pallas (though Naia, as is her wont, often gets forgotten) by name when I go in there. Not too many places like that anymore. I love used bookstores because you always find the most amazing books that you had no idea even existed.
Well, I'm not exaggerating when I say I've bought, read and loved literally hundreds of books from those two stores, so I will miss them both very much.
Cheers.

No comments: