Sunday, December 09, 2012

So I was all set to talk about Deadpool tonight but then I get home and jump on Twitter and discover that Gail Simone has been email-fired from Batgirl. Which pretty much sucks. I got the first New 52 Batgirl Hardcover that just came out and loved it. A lot, actually. Since I'm in Hinton right now my copy is 300 kms away, and kind of stuck in storage anyway since we are getting our basement finished at the moment. So I can't really flip through it again for purposes of review. But trust me, it's great.
Gail Simone will be fine, I'm sure. Thanks to Twitter and other online arenas, she has much more of a devoted following than many other creators. Arguably she may be the biggest name in comics. She's up there anyways. Frankly it's hard to see why DC would treat someone who is truly an ambassador for comics this way. DC loses. Gail loses. And we the readers lose. Again, Gail will land on her feet just fine, but poor old Batgirl is probably going to suffer.
I've never met Gail or even tweeted with her but I've definitely been Gail-adjacent. She was out to Happy Harbor, our local comic shop for FCBD a few years back, and she was on a panel at  SDCC when we went- about writing LGBT characters. And just the other day I swear to god she tumbld this photo of mine so if that doesn't make us bffs I dunno what would. Here is another photo I took of a cosplayer from Calgary bringingthe Barbara Gordon love, a fitting tribute:

. . . Batgirl!


No comments: