Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Update: I wrote this last night pretty much immediately after the encounter with FAN. Thus it is not exactly my best work, but it's good enough. However, the vampirenomad has rendered it in her own imitable style, and it is definitely worth a read.

The Woodsy Crypt is a pretty great place to live, due entirely to the vampiric/feline company. The actual neighbourhood is a little on the sketchy side. I walk to work, and have to run a gauntlet of ladies of the night midafternoon. Anyways, I can live with that. I can live with a lot, actually. Our next door neighbours are seriously the loudest people on the planet. I'm not kidding. Mostly they yell at each other, though sometimes they talk really loud and laugh. Usually starting at around 1 AM. Most nights I drown it out, but one time they were pulling down furniture and slamming it to the floor in their fury, and it was around 3 in the morning. So I got up and put some clothes on, left my hair down (I can look a little threatening in this mode if I want to) and went over and knocked on their door. And they were so loud they didn't even hear me. I knocked a couple more times and finally I hear this loud clomping sound coming to the door- I though he was going to be mad at me so I braced myself for whatever confrontation I was about to face. Instead, though, I was face to face with a very sheepish guy in his underwear who had just been kicked out by the lady. We stood there looking at each other awkwardly for a second and then I said, "It's really late."
"I know, sorry," he says. Then he went to the stairwell to spend the night and I went back to bed, where at least it was finally quiet.
Tonight WE received a knock on the door, at 10:30. gabrielle was working out to her Nsync DVD, at a not overloud volume. So I went to answer the door and their was Fat Angry Neighbour from downstairs. "Can you turn your music down please?" he said, not in a friendly tone of voice.
"We will at 11," I said, "when it's quiet time."
"Well, it's kind of loud now."
"Yeah, well, your coughing* keeps us awake all the time and there's nothing we can do about that, so . . . "
This kind of shocked him, I think, as he looked quite taken aback, and didn't reply for a couple of seconds. "Coughing can't be helped," he said, finally.
Anyways, we didn't turn down the music, though in ten minutes, we certainly will.

*He coughs so loud it sounds like he is about to die. All the time, but especially late at night (or early in the morning, as the case may be).

No comments: