Monday, May 31, 2004

I would like to read Jacob Two Two and the Hooded Fang again. Also James and the Giant Peach. These books were read to me in elementary school by my teachers. One day gabrielle and I were walking and we saw some bunnies and we began talking about Bunnicula. Apparently some people doubt her when she talks about that book, but I know it well- my Grade 3 or 4 (murky memories- 4 I think) teacher read it to us. There are probably other lost gems I have completely forgotten. My Grandma was an Elementary School Librarian at Crescent Valley, so I was inculcated very early on with a love for children's books. I used to get in trouble in junior high, having one of the highest reading comprehension levels in my grade, when I would insist on going to the little kids' section during class library times rather than seeking out "more advanced" fare. Remember what Ursula LeGuin said (paraphrased): "Whenever I have a concept too complicated for adults to digest I just write it in a childrens' book."

What were your favorite books as a child?

No comments: