Saturday, May 08, 2004

This is the conclusion to the robot story- scroll down to the previous poost to read the first part.

All kinds of ideas were swirling through my mind as I caught up with the robot. There had to be a way to beat the devil at his own game. Some kind of robot virus that would mutate the soul, so that Satan wouldn't be able to recognize it; or maybe he used nanocyte ink that would disappear or even alter the contract to make it null and void. There had to be a way.
"The devil tricked you! You already have a soul!" I said, without even a greeting.
"How is that possible?" Reading robot expressions was hard, but he didn't seem to be alarmed, just curious.
"Well, I heard a fable once when I was a kid- about a lion who was concerned that he didn't have a soul. So he asked a wise man how he could know whether he had one or not, and the wise man told him, 'The fact that you are concerned that you have a soul is proof of its existence.' Maybe it's something like that. You grew your own soul from wanting one so bad!"
"I still haven't chosen a name. Can you help me?"
"What the hell are you talking about? Who cares about your name? We have to figure out a way to get your soul back from the devil!"
"I think something from Egyptian mythology might be cool. What was the name of the creature who would eat your soul if it weighed less then the golden feather? Ammit, wasn't it? I think I will be named Ammit from now on."
"Dammit Ammit! This is serious! Focus, we have to save your soul here!" I felt like screaming. I did scream. "Gaaaaarrrgghhhhh!!!" But "Ammit" just kept blathering on as if he didn't even hear me.
"Yes, Ammit. The devourer of souls. I like it. It's much better than Robby the Robot. I'm glad you and the devil wouldn't let me be Robby. Of course, I was so sure my name was going to be Robby that I'm afraid I signed Lucifer's little contract under that name."
I was still screaming so it took a second or two for that statement to sink in. "Wha . .? You mean . . ."
"I must confess that I sold Robby the Robot's soul to the devil. I hope he doesn't mind. Since he is an inanimate object collecting dust in a studio warehouse somewhere I think I can safely assume he won't. The devil will probably be angry, but he'll have to take it up with Robby."
I never kissed a robot before, and I wouldn't recommend it since they are cold and metallic, but it was definitely appropriate on this occasion. Then we danced- the Robot, of course.

No comments: