Saturday, October 23, 2004

Waitomo
Wanna know something exciting? There are a species of glowworms here in New Zealand that have glowing blue poo! Okay, technically they aren't worms they are actually insect larva (maggots if you want to get all gross), and the blue stuff may or may not be poo. But still, blue poo! How fun! And even funner is the fact they live in caves and to see them we had to swim, squeeze, crawl and climb through a subterranean river system- the Waitomo Caves- to get to them. Here is a little info about what we did.
I see it's been a while since I last blogged, and I'vbe been busy since then too, learning all about Maori culture by attending a traditional hangi feast and seeing the haka dances, and some of the other cultural and thermal sites around Rotorua. Now we're in Taupo, by the huge Lake Taupo, seeking shelter from the rain. Could be worse, though, I hear in good ole Edmonton you guys been shovelling snow for a couple weeks already eh?
Finally got some Hobbiton pictures uploaded here, and here, as well as a variety of others. And . . . I guess it was my bloggiversary the other day! Happy Pooday to me! The winner of the contest is Tom, and not just because he was the only entrant, but also because he's so full of poo. Cheers mate, send me your address and I'll see what I can rustle up for you. Anyone else want to bribe me for a postcard or some other thing from New Zealand just send me some love- poetry or prose about bears or poo, or hobbits or anything at all really.

No comments: