Tuesday, July 19, 2005

We're back! It was a pretty great honeymoon. Our other option was Cancun, so I guess that worked out pretty well for us. One thing that was very cool for me was seeing some of the places I last saw back when I was on my life-changing hitch-hiking trip, and being able to share them with Michelle. We finished the trip off yesterday in Charlottetown. Eight years ago the C'town highlight for me was seeing Junkhouse perform in a little bar there. Junkhouse is broken up now, though, so . . . umm . . . anyways.
Another really cool memory I have from that trip eight years ago was meeting this Newfoundlander named Shawn who picked me up outside of St. John's. We wound up staying in Corner Brook (like about 600 kms away), going out for a few drinks and some pool, and then he gave me a zippo lighter with the Newfoundland crest on it. That lighter has since gone with me on every trip I've ever done (except ironically, the honeymoon- I was a little busy and it got left behind). So I decided to give him a call while we were in St. John's, and we wound up hooking up again, with our wives, going out to George Street for a few drinks. Well, for many drinks, actually. So cool. Michelle and I got screeched in as honorary Newfoundlanders. I was a little shy about calling just out of the blue like that, but I am glad I did. Thanks Shawn and Natalie!
So, even though Junkhouse is no more I highly advise you guys to check out some of their albums. They have a sort of swampy, bluesy, junkhousey feel. As a special bonus, their album Birthday Boy features a little-known Sarah McLachlan collaboration called Burnt-out Car.

No comments: