Friday, September 28, 2007

Of course the concert was amazing. In the program guide there was a quote from Loreena that says:
The education of self through travel can be a journey that knows no end. As I look at history and cultures through the prism of other eyes, it feels like a search, or even an excavation, for some connection between the past and present.

Growing up I was like any other kid in that history was something that just didn't penetrate my awareness- it wasn't even "there" enough to be boring. Especially growing up in small town Alberta, a town that only recently celebrated 50 years, there just wasn't any history around me to affect me.
Travel of course opens your eyes, but even then it can take a while for the message to totally sink in. I remember gazing at this incredible monument to all these old Hungarian kings in Budapest. I wish I could recall its name. It's called Heroes Square. All these kings on pillars, arrayed in a semicircle. The inscription was almost apologetic because it "only" went back to the 11th century. That kind of blew my mind a little.
It wasn't until after the first time I went up to the Yukon, my dad gave me a book by Pierre Berton called Klondike that I finally realized that just doing a little bit of reading about a place you're going to can enhance your experience tenfold. That book was so amazing I had to go back and hike the Chilkoot Trail, which I never would have known about without reading that book.
Luckily I learned my lesson and was able to stand in Tiananmen Square, whitewashed as it is, and think of the people who died there not so long ago. Or explore the Potala Palace and know exactly why the Dalai Lama no longer lives there.
Hell, I even learned some pretty interesting things about New Zealand- like, did you know there was a special Maori battalion (the 28th, 2nd NZEF) that fought in WWII? The Maori were exempt from fighting, so Sir Aspirana Ngati, a member of Parliament established the 28th, made up entirely of volunteers. The National Geographic article where I read this claims that they performed a haka before their first battle and that this caused the Nazi soldiers to flee. That part may be apocryphal but maybe not. Cool, huh?
Take my advice, next time you travel read up on the history of the place beforehand.

No comments: