Thursday, February 19, 2009

Anytime you spend more than three weeks away from a coal mine you pretty much need a tour to get oriented again. Geologic changes that would ordinarily take millions of years and an asteroid impact or two we accomplish in a month. None of the shovels are where you left them. One of our main roads that we've been using for four years is all dug out. Now we have to use alternate routes. Which means that my old hiding places are no good anymore!
Our cable reeler is broke down. Which sucks. Means all the endless cable work we always do now has to be done by hand, and with pickup trucks. The cable reeler is an old- like, 25 years or so- Cat loader with a reeling attachment instead of a bucket. As cantankerous and bitchy as it is, it is one of the most valuable pieces of equipment out there. Without it, moving shovels and drills becomes extremely difficult. Can't move your shovels and drills? Can't mine. Yet we find a way. And the big bosses see we can make do without so they don't sweat about the reeler so much. See how it's a vicious cycle?
I missed a minor bit of excitement when a baggie of dope was found on one of the haultrucks. Charlie was joking that he should go claim it, since just last month he had to get his PSP back from the big boss. Then I said he could just say it was medicinal marijuana that he'd bought with his health and wellness account. But the funniest was on facebook where one of my friends was sending birthday greetings to another guy: Happy birthday man! Did you find that bag of weed I left you?
DSCF2450
This is the only photo of the cable reeler I have! The machine with its back to the camera. I guess even I take it for granted. Well, if you care, my friend Craig posted a pic on Facebook but I dunno if you can see it or not. It's kind of hidden behind the haultrucks.