Thursday, March 11, 2010

I watched Where the Wild Things Are last night. I had high hopes and low expectations for it since I'd heard such strong reactions both +/-. In fact, Robin said he hated it- he even went so far as to say he thought the Jim Carrey Grinch movie was better! Very strong words since that movie was one of the biggest piles of poo ever pooed by all the poobears who ever pooed in the woods.
Anyways I actually really liked Wild Things but I can see why some people didn't. I mean, years of reading the book and looking at the wild things in that beautiful mixture of awe and wanting to be with them and being a little scared, well, seeing them being all depressed and like inmates in Nurse Ratched's Psych ward . . . it's not how I would've done it. But it still worked, at least as an interesting interpretation (and only that) of the 12 page book. There were parts that were absolutely stunning, and some truly funny dialogue, and James Gondolfini? Brilliant!
You know what was the one thing I was really disappointed in? That the end credits didn't have new Maurice Sendak artwork of the wild things! How could they miss such a golden opportunity?

No comments: