Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pallas got her ears pierced yesterday. When she was born my mom wanted to take her out of her little NICU incubator to pierce her ears but I thought it would be better if we waited until she was old enough to ask for it. Just kidding about the incubator. Sort of.
She's definitely expressed an interest before, she loves jewellery and fancy stuff. So I told her when she first asked that she definitely could if she wanted, just that she needed to be aware it hurt a little bit for a little while. Not that much and not for very long, but I wanted to be honest. So upon further reflection, she decided to wait. NOw that she's 4 1/2, and a big girl, she decided that short term pain was worth the long term gain.
So we gathered up her PoohBear blankie and her Pink Guy and went to Atomic Zombie downtown since they were recommended to us as a place where they take care of children, since not very many places do (outside of Mexico, where my Mom is from). They were great. I went in with Pallas and held her hand, and she was amazing. She kicked ass. She did the gasp of pain, and I could tell the tears were coming but she was determined to not let them win. It was so cute and so awesome to watch. We were half-convinced that she would bail after one, but she soldiered on and did the second right away. Same thing, initial gasp of pain, some half-sobs and then.... SHE DID IT! The pride on her face and the "ascitement" of finally having real ear-rings, well, these are the memories a dad treasures for all time. Afterwards she kind of did a dance with Michelle and announced to the heavens and anyone else in earshot "I got my ears pierced!!! I'm a big girl!!!"
Poor little Naia said, "My turn!" only it was not her turn.  Soon enough, Peanut! Don't grow up too soon.

No comments: