Wednesday, January 22, 2003

Since it is so cold out today, what else is there to do but blog? I wish I could go toblogganing hahaha. Anyways, I had to go pull out my old Ride the Lightning CD after I quoted that lyic from Trapped Under Ice.

I don´t know how to live through this hell
Woken up, I´m still locked in this shell
Frozen soul, frozen down to the core
Break the ice, I can´t take anymore

Freezing
Can´t move at all
Screaming
Can´t hear my call
I am dying to live
Cry out
I´m trapped under ice

Crystallized, as I lay here and rest
Eyes of glass stare directly at death
From deep sleep I have broken away
No one knows, no one hears what I say

Chorus

Scream from my soul
Fate, mystified
Hell, forever more

No release from my cryonic state
What is this? I´ve been stricken by fate
Wrapped up tight, cannot move, can´t break free
Hand of doom has a tight grip on me

Chorus

Reflecting on these lyrics, I am forced to admit that this song isn't about being Trapped Under Ice at all, at least in the literal sense. I always kind of thought it was, just because Ride the Lightning is such a primitive album, compared to their others. The whole album is about death. Unlike Kill 'em All which was about, umm, leather and headbanging. I mean come on, these albums are both very old- 1983 and 1984 they came out. I have to say, James Hetfield is one of my all time musical heroes. In fact, he is my all time favorite. For lyrics his work is poetry (unfortunatley I can not think of a single instance of the word poo appearing in a Metallica song) and his riffs are the best. Too bad their sheen has been diminshed in recent years with their constant suing people. Most recently they are suing local Edmonton punk band Metallica. Yeah you read that right. I guess I can understand why the real Metallica might be a little upset. But they should take it as a joke instead of getting all corporate on them, you know?
I bought ReLoad on the day it came out in 1997, while in the midst of my Cross-Canada Hitch-Hiking Trip. I was in Winnipeg and the weather was much like it is today. Then I got on a train and went to Churchill to see Poolar Bears. I listened to ReLoad the whole way, and to this day I swear Fixxxer is about the Northern Lights, snow and Hudson's Bay. The cool intro is the aural equivalent of the aurora. It's actually about voodoo though, or poo, or something.

No comments: