Saturday, September 06, 2003

He's the last living black polar bear
Ursis maritimus with brunette hair
An anti-albino Arctic animal anomaly
Melpomene's very own private North Pole-my-knee
Jet black get back goth smack chiller
Razor claws toothy jaws icy-cold killer
Last of his kind going out of his mind
Glacier sliding iceberg hiding glaring snowblind

I have been wanting to try some non-story/narrative poetry for a while, something more along the lines of what Rob Zombie wrote back in the White Zombie days (I love the opening line from More Human than Human: "I am the astro-creep, a demolition style hell american freak/ I am the crawling dead- a phantom in a box shadow in your head" Astro Creep 2000 is a fantastic disc, by the way). You know, something that sounds kind of cool but doesn't necessarily say or mean anything or make any sense. But I also think there is a good narrative story in there somewhere too- perhaps I will revisit the concept, or maybe you can try your hand at some Polar Poetry. Or Poolar Pooetry. Yeah- it will be a pre-bloggiversary contest- send me your poem about the last living black polar bear. That will be fun. Winner will get, let's see . . . a copy of Astro Creep 2000! Or maybe something nice. I'll have to think about it, and maybe customize the prize to the guys. Sorry, once I get rhymey it's hard to stop. But yeah it was cool how River Selkie sent a totally relevant prize, so I think that would be nice to do. You have till my birthday to get your entry in. No wait! It'll be my birthday contest, so have it in by the 10th, and I'll announce the winner on the 11th.

No comments: