Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Colby Cosh has some wise things to say about two subjects very near and dear to my heart: grizzly bears and the very coal mine where I would be working right now if it weren't for the environmentalists. A highlight: "As always, we have the amusing idea put forward that grizzlies, who can run upwards of 30 miles an hour, cannot possibly cross a road through the bush."
Fingers crossed, it looks like I might be mining again soon. We'll see, though.
Did I ever mention the grizzly sow that used to make her home in and around Cardinal River (the current, nearly-depleted precursor to the Cheviot mine, where I used to work)? She often had a pair of cubs with her, and she was thoroughly unconcerned about us miners. In fact she seemed to like us, or at least the protected habitat we offered (it is just as illegal to hunt on mine property as in a National Park). Sadly she wandered off the minesite one day and was shot by some bastard motherfuckers for her gall bladder.
Honestly, coal mines and bears can coexist. If it weren't true I wouldn't say it.

No comments: