Monday, March 29, 2004

Out of Business

So the store where I work(ed) closed its doors forever today. And life goes on. I'm a little sore from carrying and dollying many many many boxes onto pallets. There were three other guys there- my manager, another store manager and a district manager. They watched as I loaded each and every box onto the pallets myself. Oh well. I don't mind working. And my very cool manager gave me ten extra hours on my paystub as a sort of severance package, which was right decent of him.
A little boy about four years old was riding by on his bicycle and stopped to watch. (He was accompanied by his mother, not out wandering the streets by himself. This isn't Ohio, you know.)
"What are you doing?" he asked.
"I'm shutting this store down. Want to help? Go grab a dolly and some boxes and start loading."
"Uh uh." He shook his head no.
"Aww, come on. I'll pay you a dollar!"
"Well, I'm going to go look at books now so I can't."
"Oh yeah? You're going to the library? Make sure you get some Dr. Seuss, I love him."
"I love Dr. Seuss too!!!! I have a book and a video of Dr. Seuss."
"Nice!" I said, "And don't forget to get some books on bears."
"Yeah I like bears."
"Good boy."

No comments: