Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Motueka
This internet cafe's terminals are all named after Simpsons characters- I'm at Abe, next to me is Santa's Little Helper and Monty Burns. They all have little bios, as well, possibly printed off the internet. Fun. Also there's a poster of kiwi birds, which is a little more common around here than back home. Kiwis themselves, however, are quite endangered, so I was quite happy to give a kiwi to save a kiwi at a bank.
Really close by is Abel Tasman National Park, so I hitched a ride over to Kaiteriteri, hoping to rent a sea kayak. instead I wound up on a sea shuttle, with the intent of being dropped off for a short hike, when we encountered a pod of orcas! So I stayed in the boat and we watched these incredible predators for a while. I tried getting pictures but all I got was a bunch of dorsal fins, they are tricky to catch when they just grab a quick breath and dive again.
Some interesting articles in the paper today- dolphins protect swimmers from shark, not far from where we swam with them, and (though I can't find a link for it) there was a big earthquake off the southwest coast yestedray morning- I didn't feel it but it was quite big. Luckily it didn't do any damage, but if its epicenter had been on land it could have been quite severe. Te Anau, where we were just a few days ago, reported some shaking.
Anyways, Grampa Simpson is shaking his cane at me so I guess that means I have to go.

No comments: