Wednesday, April 26, 2006

An Interview With Travis Hanson On the wall above my desk is a print called The Storyteller, by Travis Hanson. I love looking at it because there is so much detail- I always notice new things. And I love the spirit of it- the joy of a good story. Some day my little bear cubs will look up at it from their crib, and be inspired to dream in Techniwonder. Travis is the artist behind The Bean's Song- Tales of the Broken Moon. He has also just started a weekly webcomic called Stardusters, so I thought I would ask him a few questions so you could get to know him better. 

 So, tell us a bit about yourself: 
  Well I am a 35 year old illustrator and father of 4. I've been married 12 years and life seems to get better each year i get older:) 

 And tell us a bit about your projects- Stardusters and Broken Moon. Star Dusters is a little pet project of mind that has been sitting in the back of my head for the last 8 years. Like the Bean it has changed form and developed into something completely different. I find it a welcome release from fantasy and it helps keep my cartooning skills in check. I am looking forward to seeing where this goes. the Broken Moon series is a much larger project. It started as a webcomic than morphed into a comic book and finally found a home in written print. Aimee Duncan and myself have really put in a lot to give the bean life. Right now we are in the midst of finishing the 1st draft to book 2. It is looking outstanding and it will really go more indepth on Bean's relationship with the sword.

How did you get started in art?
 I have been drawing since i was about 6 yet i did not become serious about my art until i was about 23. It took a swift kick in the butt from a close friend to help me really see my potential. I then spent several years looking for work and busting my hump to find jobs. I landed my first job as a cartoonist for a print shop and than spent the next several years learning my trade. 
 What tools do you use? 
  I use a wide variety - i hand draw and ink everything first than i scan the work in and do layout with photoshop, illustrator and indesign. 
 What inspires you? 
  Life and my kids 

 Do you have any tricks you do to kickstart creativity if you aren't feeling it? 
  I sketch a lot- all the time- and it's usually some minute sketch on a piece of scratch paper that kicks it all off 

 Your work has a definite vibe, or even a message- can you expand on that?
  I want people to realize that they can accomplish anything they set out to do and that imagination is only dead if they make it so. Too many people live in the world of "what if i had done this" i try to encourage people that no matter what station of life you are in that there is hope, imagination is real and everyone needs to belong.  

 What are some goals or dreams you have? 
  To finish the broken moon series:) and start another. 

 And do you have any advice for other artists? well for one keep at it, grow a thick skin and draw all the time. Stop watching tv and playing video games - they aren't bad they just take away from an artist time that can be used to create. 

 Other artists you admire?
  jeff smith author of bone, and many others that you find at deviantart. I also admire the work of my uncle, mother and grandmother 

 Your uncle, mother and grandmother are artists too? What do they do? 
  my mother is a painter(china painter) and doll maker- my uncle is a classic car and abstract painter and my great grandmother was an oil painter- though her work is hard to find in the family:) 

 Finally, what is your favorite kind of bear? 
  grizzly 

 Thanks Travis! Support the Bean! Copies of his prints and the Broken Moon book can be purchased at Bean Leaf Press.

No comments: