Monday, September 25, 2006

An Interview with Phil Carnehl, the Rebel Penguin

King_Kong_on_Mars_by_rebel_penguin

Last year I came across a gorgeous illustration of King Kong in a space suit, bashing UFOs rather than biplanes. I loved it, and knew I had found a brilliant artist I would be honored to work with. So I commissioned him to illustrate my poem "Robot's Cove" for when I read it at G-Arts last year. He promptly delivered a beautiful and perfect piece, with exactly the right quality of mystery and wonder I was trying for in the poem.

Robot__s_Cove_by_rebel_penguin

We collaborated again with the story from last night, about the Yeti and the Yak. I believe this young gentleman has a bright future, and I am pleased to present an interview with the artist.

First of all, who are you? I'm Phil Carnehl, a lifetime resident of California trying my best to make a living off of what i love to do.

Where does your screen name Rebel-Penguin come from? Um i'm sure these questions usually have funny answers but Rebel Penguin came about in my last term of college. Had some extra time left after completing my final animation and wanted to add a cool logo and made up company name to the beginning of it so i designed my current logo and came up with Rebel Penguin Productions. Always liked penguins and i got a lot of good response from the design so it stuck.

When (and how) did you get started in art? I've been drawing literally my whole life but never really pushed myself to go futher with it until after highschool. Found a great art college to go to and the teachers really inspired me to reach for the stars so i've been doing my best to improve ever since.

What tools or media do you use? I start off everything with the basic pencil and paper and from there ink and color it in Illustrator CS2. I've also been breaking into Photoshop and Flash a bit.

The_Great_White_Ape_by_rebel_penguin

What inspires you? Other artists, nature, i like to make people laugh so anything i can make fun of without insulting anyone is always inspiring.

What do you do to get the creative juices flowing? I usually flip through comics, maybe read a few bible passages and of course pray, if asking God to help me in my work doesn't get the art flowing i usually assume that means He's got something else for me to do at the time.

What are some goals or dreams you have? I would love to work with Genndy Tartakovsky (Samurai Jack creator) or Butch Hartman (Fairly Odd Parents) or both someday. It would also be awesome to create a cartoon series of my own at some point in my life.

Any advice for other artists? I'm sure you've heard it before but never stop learning, take every opportunity you have to learn from artists around you and even more importantly never stop drawing, don't let a day go by without putting your pencil to paper and creating something, anything, if you love what you do don't let yourself ever run dry.

What artists do you admire and learn from? Again Genndy Tartakovsky and Butch Hartman are both big inspirations, both guys with big ideas who had the heart to press on and make things happen. I also enjoy the work of Ben Caldwell, Craig McCracken and Deviantart's very own Dapper Dan.

Are there any words of wisdom you live by? I'm not in any way perfect but i try to live by knowing putting faith in myself is pointless because alone i will always let myself down, but putting faith and trust in God, the one who made me who i am, is the only way to success and happiness.

Do you think there is such thing as yetis or sasquatches? Definitely, the thought that we've discovered every creature alive on this planet is ridiculous, i'm sure there's more out there just waiting to be found out.

Thanks Phil! By the way, he's open for commissions, so head on over to his deviantArt page for details. I'll leave you with Phil's newest piece, The Least Scary Dragon:

The_Least_Scary_Dragon_by_rebel_penguin

No comments: