Sunday, November 16, 2008

Back when gabrielle and I were room-mates I accompanied her when she had to take Poe to the vet. I don't think I blogged about the experience, but it was kind of traumatic. Poe went nuts- like, it sounded like we were torturing her. The vet had to get her aide to come in with a special claw-resistant glove to corner her and then catch and subdue her. People in the other room were asking what we were doing to that poor cat. I wasn't in tears but it was close- you know when your eyes get kind of watery and you have trouble swallowing? It was like that. And she wasn't even my cat.
So now with less than three months to go before the birth of my first child I am trying not to think about the labor and delivery process that my wife will have to go through. This weekend we took our prenatal classes, something which I wasn't looking forward to at all. My aunt was the teacher and it was actually pretty good- the first day was really encouraging in fact and we left thinking it would be a piece of cake. Today was a little scarier, and I had teary eyes and trouble swallowing when she talked about having a plan in place vis a vis burial/cremation/ organ donation should the worst happen. Actually it was more than just teary eyes, I was crying a little. But she said it wasn't to scare us but just so we wouldn't have to deal with all those things at the time. And also she reassured us that over 99.9% of the time everything goes really great and easy.
So I think I'm ready. But I keep thinking about Poe . . .