Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The shovel I was operating at work today got the CBC so I was able to listen to Canada Reads. Are you listening in? Which book are you cheering for? I bought Michelle Book of Negroes for Christmas and Outlander for her birthday (and she got it signed at the CBC panel discussion last week) and she loved them both. I haven't read either yet but I'll definitely read Book of Negroes. Fruit sounds interesting, too. But I think Lawrence Hill is going to take it.
Anyways, if you were on the panel, what Canadian novel would you recommend? Or, for our New Zealand audience, what Kiwi work?
I think my rec would be . . . umm, hmmm. Maybe Calculating God by Robert J Sawyer? Or how about - see, my problem is my favorite Canadian books are all either:
a. non-fiction. Klondike by Pierre Berton!
b. children's books. Silverwing by Kenneth Oppell!
c. science fiction. Darwinia by Robert Charles Wilson!
All the CanLit classics I've read have been alright but not HomieLit classics. Not Wanted on the Voyage, The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz etc. Read them for fun not for class, but really, give me the sci-fi anyday. However Flying Troutmans was good. Miriam Toews. Check her out.