Friday, December 04, 2009

Okay so I'm not going to Star Wars Celebration V, but how can I pass up a chance to post a sweet Boba Fett pic? We already have our vacation plans- San Diego Comic Con 2010! I think there may be a Boba Fett or two in attendance at that event as well.
I don't know if you've heard about Edmonton's bid to host Expo 2017. It was all in the news again this past week because of some artist's conceptions and such. Anyways, the plan thus far is to spend $2.5 billion to hold a World's Fair around the theme of energy. You remember Expo 87, right? Vancouver. The theme then was transportation, I remember that from our brief foray. Although they had jets and stuff I remember thinking the whole transportation theme was pretty boring. Energy- also boring. Even more so. Absolutely vital to our civilization, obviously, but still boring.
Do you remember Expo 2008? You don't? Let me refresh your memory- since I just had to via Wikipedia. It was held in Zaragoza, Spain, and its theme was water and sustainable devlopment. Did you go? Why not?
This is why- if you have a couple of thousand dollars to spend on a family vacation and you want to do something awesome with it, you go to Comic Con or Celebration or maybe Cancun or New York. Whatever you happen to be in to. The Olympics or the Word Cup, maybe. Is Zaragoza on your list? Ummm. How about Des Moines, Iowa? I specifically mention them not to disparage that city, I am sure it is beautiful, but because Slipknot is from there and when they were here Corey Taylor said something like (I'm paraphrasing) "I love Edmonton because it's just like Des Moines- a godforsaken town in the middle of nowhere but you still know how to party, motherf*^kers!"
Let's say Expo 2017 gets awarded to Des Moines. Are you going to go? Maybe if its theme was Slipknot. I'm not sure how many Des Moinesians will flock to Edmonton in 2017. Or New Yorkers or whoever.
All this is to say I am not too thrilled with my city council spending my tax dollars (which have gone up almost $200 a year every year since I bought my house) to try and lure Expo 2017. I love Edmonton (blizzards and all) but I also know it's not Orlando or San Diego or London or Singapore.
But I might still jump aboard the bandwagon if the committee makes a few simple changes- like Expo 2017: Zombies, Giant Robots or Vampires- Which is the Ultimate Coolest?