Monday, February 22, 2010

What kind of units would life force be measured in? And don't say midichlorians!
A while ago a bunch of us were at work shooting the breeze, and we were talking about a new mechanic on our crew who was amazing at his job, though his enthusiasm for the job was steadily diminishing each week as he got more used to some of the work conditions that were his new norm.
"Yeah you can see the life force draining out of him a little more each day", I said. Everyone laughed but one guy, who is a good friend of mine but he has a bit of a history of resolving conflict with edged weapons, he says, "Yeah I love watching the life force drain out of a guy!" at which point we all stopped laughing and exchanged nervous glances instead.
Anyways so Robin figures me taking his pumpman bid is a surefire way for me to lose some life force. After the first day, I told him I felt so good that I thought I had gained a unit of life force.
This past week, well, it's hard to say if I'm ahead on life force units or bleeding them out profusely. All I had to do was get a pump system back in the bottom of this one pit that we are quickly going to need. This job was such high priority that they brought a guy in on overtime to help me the first day, and they pulled mechanics off of the #1 shovel to fix a pump. Wow, never seen that before, right?
Long story short, there is still no pump in that pit, even after four days of working on it steady.
Where to begin? The old infrastructure for the pump had been robbed blind over the winter, so I had to weld new pipe to put in, except the generator for my pipe welder had been robbed to power the lights of a backhoe. And there was no unfrozen pipe to weld anyways.
There are tons of other little details, such as there was no sense in installing anything until after we blasted a pattern directly above the sump the pump was going in, which wasn't scheduled till day 3 of my 4 day shift. So on day 3, comes time to blast, and the drill that had drilled the pattern is about to move out when it pukes up a main motor. So that takes most of the day arranging for two bulldozers to come and drag it out and so on and on.
Even yesterday, we were ready to forklift all the stuff we needed down to the sump, but the blast had covered the road and a backhoe was sent in to open it up again. Which he did no problem, except at the very end he lost a track and blocked the whole entrance.
But I did what I could and now I'm on four days off, so my units of life force is pretty much through the roof right now.

No comments: