Monday, June 04, 2012

I was listening to the Radiolab podcast on Colors the other day and thought I came up with the most important scientific epiphany of all time. See, us humans have three color receptors in our eyes, red, green and blue (or yellow, I forget exactly), and those working in concert allow us to see the millions and millions of shades we see. Seems like lots, right? But other animals have more, some have 6, and mantis shrimp even have some crazy number like 18 of them. Well, listen to the podcast because obviously I am garbling some of the details. But here's what I immediately realized:
The reason why we've never seen a sasquatch is their fur is in the colors we can not perceive! Obviously!
I was composing my Nobel acceptance speech in my head when I realized the flaw in my reasoning. Okay, there's probably more than one, but right away you can see that even if their fur was colored something we can't see, the light reaching us would still be blocking out the background behind them, so they would still appear as some other color. Brown, maybe. Dogs can still see us, even though they are colorblind (though not completely, as they have two color-rods in their eyes, rather than our three). So yeah. Oh well.

No comments: