Wednesday, June 20, 2012

_DSC7712

It was definitely Bear Week at work. Every day I saw at least 1, usually 4, and I think I saw 8 different grizzlies, possibly 9 though of course it's hard to tell which are the same ones twice. A friend was  driving to work when his truck was charged by a very angry boar, whom we saw a few minutes later but by then he was running into the bush with a sow. Hopefully to relax a bit. If we're going to see bears, it's always this time of year and then after Canada Day or so we don't see them anymore, so I think they are after the relatively easy protein to be found in all the baby elk, sheep and moose hanging around.
This picture here was of a mama I saw on the way to work one morning- which is why I was able to use the Nikon. Of course, early morning so the light wasn't amazing. Her cub was with her too and I got some photos of them both- nothing magazine quality, but better than nothing.
But the best was yesterday, just as I was driving my haultruck, crossing a bridge I saw that blonde sow that had been hanging out all week, running down a road full tilt, then going up on her hind legs and generally acting fairly aggressive. Then I saw the mama moose and her baby. Mama moose actually chased the grizzly into the bush. From my vantage point it was so obvious that the grizz just had to scooch around mama moose and she woulda had a tasty little mooseburger to share with her cub, but it was not to be. This time.

No comments: