Friday, October 12, 2012

Pallas and I went on a daddy/daughter date to "Trapters". it was so much fun. She's growing up so fast (she recently wrote her name for the first time!) Even going there was fun- stopped at the LRT tracks, we saw two trains go by and an ambulance!  Such lucky ducks we are. Anyways when we were there we spent most of our time in the kids section ,where she was allowed to choose one item to get, but of course we had a tea party and stuff for a while first.
Later we went over to my section, ie the trade paperback comics section which is also handily right by the fantasy/scifi books. "Do you like comics dad?"
"You know I do, Pallas!"
"I was just being silly."
"I know."
Then she saw one of Charlaine Harris' books (the ones True Blood are based on) and she recognized the covers because Michelle has some and gets the others from the library. She got all excited and wanted me to buy it for her.
"But sweetie, this isn't really a book for little girls. See? It's just all words, no pictures or anything." I didn't mention all the vampire werewolf faery human sex.
"Dad! You silly!  I'm a big girl. And I can SO read! I can read I Spy books."
The book I wound up getting was neiter comic nor scifi. It was Jian Ghomeshi's 1982 which I basically read in a day. I enjoyed it- I really only bought it since as a CBC nerd I consider Jian a personal friend (anti-restraining order disclaimer: Jian is not my personal friend). And even then, 1982 and Bowie are not really subjects I had much interest in. I was 8 in 1982, so a little young to have been tuned into the zeitgeist. 1986 and I'm all in. Especially if it's all about Gowan (who Jian mentions in passing, sweet!) Like I said, though, I read it in a day so obviously I enjoyed it a lot. It's very funny and also has that awkwardness that characterized the entire 80s decade, at least for me, so I could identify even though it wasn't quite about my exact generation.
Sidenote- I also just received my copy of Stephen Tobolowsky's The Dangerous Animals Club. I haven't read it yet, but as a huge fan of his podcast, I have a pretty good idea of what's in it. You should get it. Seriously. Jian Ghomeshi should get it too. And have Tobo on Q. I'm really serious. Here's why. The Talking Heads song, Radio Head? You know the one. That the band Radiohead was named after. Yeah. That song is about Stephen Tobolowsky. I am totally not lying. I am sure that story is in the book, but if not, check out episode, uh, well I forget but just listen to them all.
Well, to bring this back to Pallas, I'll also say I introduced her today to one of my favorite movies- The Iron Giant. I got a shirt from Teefury that mashed up Iron Man and Iron Giant so of course hse wanted to know what that was all about. So we watched it together. Damn. That movie gets me every time. Poor little Pallas was just inconsolable. Actually a Dragonette dance party consoled her up pretty good, but she was crying for a long time before we thought of it. Then tonight when I was putting her to bed, she was like, "I don't want Iron Giant to come and get me."
But he won't, he's only imaginary and anyways he's a good guy.
"But but but I don't want him to step on me, I'm just little."
He's very careful not to step on people, sweetie. And anyways, he's imaginary remember?
"I don't want any mosters to come either."
"Monsters know better than to mess with me, sweetie. And imaginary!  Very imaginary."

No comments: