Monday, February 09, 2004

I hadn't seen Alice in Wonderland for many years and had forgotten all but its broadest strokes, but last night we watched it and I loved it. Pure imagination, on both Carroll's and Disney's parts. I liked how the Cheshire Cat recited Jabberwocky, the nonsense poem Lewis Carroll embedded into the text of Through the Looking Glass. Do you remember it?

"`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe."

The entire text can be found here.
My Dad lent me a book of classic sci-fi short stories once, and one of the stories was called mimsy Were the Borogoves. It was a really coo llittle story written in the 40s about some mysterious toys accidentally sent back in time from way in the future. But hey- why should I describe it to you when the entire text can be found online? (You might have to click on each page since the 'next' button doesn't seem to work). It must be old enough to be in the public domain now. I love imaginative stuff like that. Makes me happy.

No comments: