Thursday, January 27, 2005

Everyone say happy birthday to my girlfriend Michelle! We went and saw Emm Gryner and friends play at the Sidetrack tonight and it was amazing. Besides Emm (make sure you spell it right with an extra M in Em. heh) there were five other singer/songwriters, none of whom I had heard of, but all were excellent. Maybe one weak link but I won't single him out. They were touring as the Bluebird North Tour, and they were arrayed panel style, each performing a song in turn, though often helping the others out.
We went because I had read an interview with Emm last week and it mentioned that she recorded a disc of metal/punk/heavier songs accoustically and called it Girl Versions, though I was unable to track the disc down in town (I got her new one instead which is really good). I decided it would be cool to go to the show, not knowing there were five others sharing the bill. One guy, Andy Kim, was well known with the older patrons, and when they played that Sugar, Sugar (Candy Girl?) song we realized why. And another guy played a couple of fun songs- one about the Monster Mash, which was kind of clever and insightful (the point being, he might have been a one hit wonder but at least that guy had a hit) and The Last of the Red Hot Fools.
So it was a great night, much different than we expected, but all the better for it.
Almost makes up for missing out on Slipknot a couple of weeks ago. Make sure you say to Michelle Happy Birthday! It's actually Friday, and I am a bad bearfriend because I have to miss it since I will be working.

No comments: