Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Haka!!
Once again I have to miss out on something really cool due to being away at work. Oh well, that's life. But you don't have to miss out, so long as you live in Edmonton. On Friday night, Te Kapa Haka o Te Tumu is performing in the World Warriors concert at the Myer Horowitz Theatre. That's right, Te Kapa Haka o Te Tumu! A Maori performing arts group from the University of Otago (which I think, gabrielle, is in Dunedin- home of the Octagon, not the square). Few things in this world, that I have seen at least, are as cool as a Maori haka. Maybe you have seen the All Blacks perform one before a rugby match?
I saw a haka up close in Rotorua- just amazing. Intimidating, too, in a good way. They tell me it is the only dance in the world that uses every muscle in the body, including the eyelids and tongue. And for my good buddies Jay and Rowan, you will appreciate this lyric, yelled loud: Tenei te ta ngata puhuru horu! This is the hairy person who caused the sun to shine!
Don't miss out on your chance to see some Maori dancing in Edmonton. As a bonus, there will also be troupes from the Borneo, hip hop, Irish, First Nations and African Drumming traditions. Tickets are ten bucks in advance at SUB Info or 12 at the door, and it is this Friday at 7:30. You will thank me if you go. Trust me.
Te Kapa Haka o Te Tumu!!

No comments: