Thursday, June 16, 2005

"Hi Mom, I'm on my way home . . .I gotta go, we just hit a deer."
Driving back from Hinton last night I picked up a hitch-hiker to keep me company, and he had just called his Mom when the law of statistical probability finally caught up with me. Two deer came bounding out onto the highway right in front of me, and though this has happened many times before and I have always managed to avoid a collision, there were two and I could not thread the eye of the needle, so to speak. So I clipped one on the leg, sending the poor little guy flying end over end into the ditch. Sadly, it didn't kill him outright, and though we got out to check on it, it had fled into the bush already. Well, a bear, cougar or wolf will likely take care of it. I hope a bear. Then I could say it was a circle-of-life sortathing. I did call out an apology to it, though. As well as a frustrated admonition: "I wish you guys wouldn't run out into traffic like that all the time."
Oh yeah and Little Green Jellybean sustained almost no damage. A little crack in the plastic piece by the grille.

No comments: