Monday, September 05, 2005

We went to the Edmonton Tattoo and Arts Festival today. There weren't any gamertags for sale, but there wasn't much else going on, either. I think because we went on the last day, most of the events were already done. There was a decent band playing, the B-movies, and . . . lots of booths. More of a convention than a festival. But that's okay, it was only the first one. Next year we'll make sure to go for some actual events. Maybe they'll have a body painting contest, like in Wellington where I took these pictures.
What was exceptional and amazing, however, was last night's session of the Symphony Under the Sky. Actually it was in the Winspear, due to weather, but that is just as good. Local goddess Bridget Ryan (who we saw earlier in The Breast Show) narrated Peter and the Wolf, which I had never been exposed to really. It's whimsical, fun and enthralling- and gave me some ideas. Also there was Beethoven's Egmont Overture, which I love, and now brings me to 4 out of my 5 favorite Beethoven pieces live. I just need to see his 3rd and I will have no need of heaven. Beethoven bingo!
And though the entire program was exceptional, the other highlight I need to share with you is an amazing, fun, whimsical (again!) piece written by a former ESO composer-in-residence named Allan Gilliland, called Dreaming of the Masters 1. It's all about jazz, man. There was even a jazz drummer on stage, and the centrepiece is the clarinet- it was written specifically for a Leduc-born clarinet master named James Campbell who performed it last night again. It was so cool to see the ESO do full on bebop, swing big band jazz. Those of you from not Edmonton can just lobby your own orchestras to perform it- the Boston Pops has.
DId you ever notice that all the best festivals celebrate the arts somehow?

No comments: