Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Rockstar: SuperFarmer

Michelle kept telling me about a reality show she thought I'd like- it had Tommy Lee and "James" Newsted and someone named Gill Gilby. Gil Gooby? Gooby Goo? Something like that- she couldn't remember his name and I couldn't think who she might be talking about from her gilbydegook (it's ex-GnR guitarist Gilby Clarke). But even though it had Jason Newsted, one of my musical gods, I didn't really pay too much attention.
Finally I let her show me some of the performances on the net, and I was impressed, and hooked. There are some pretty amazing singers on that show. My favorite is Dilana who has already become one of my musical goddesses.
Every week someone gets voted off, of course. But the bottom three get a chance to redeem themselves by singing a song of their choice.
If I was on the show, I would be the first to get the boot, since bears are not renowned for their singing voices. But I would choose "Poets" by The Tragically Hip to go out on, because it's by the best Canadian band ever, it's an instantly catchy tune that everyone loves on first listen, and it's about poets. Or so the title would lead me to believe- the brilliant lyrics aren't as clear, in typical Downian fashion:

Lava flowin' in SuperFarmer's direction
He's been gettin' reprieve from the heat in the frozen-food section, yeah

So, what song would you sing, and why?

No comments: