Monday, October 09, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving- I'm Thankful For Elephants!
And for you non-Canucks, Happy Second Monday in October. Michelle and I went down to Calgary for some family, food and fun. It was great. So, know what I think is cool?
Elephants. According to the May 1991 issue of National Geogrpahic that Michelle let me steal from her classroom the other day, there was once a four-tusked species of proto-pachyderm called Primelephas, as well as mammoths and mastodons and other very cool mumakiloids. From that issue:
Of all the truly colossal beasts that once walked the planet, only these two remain [the African and Asian elephants). And they are disappearing even as we are just beginning to learn about their lives.

In the 20th century alone, more than ten million elephants died at the hands of humans. Sad, hey? But so familiar as to be cliche.
Anyways, I bought some cool-looking comics to see if maybe some Elephantmen get a little revenge.

No comments: