Monday, January 08, 2007

Did you hear about the Rolling Stone writing contest? If you're a young urban hipster who goes to all the shows this would be right up your alley. I'm a not-so-young suburban unhipster who doesn't go to any shows so I'll give this one a pass. But Alyssa, I'm looking at you!
I read Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures, by Vincent Lam. He won a different sort of "writing contest" with that one- the Giller Prize. It's really good, as you'd expect. I gotta tip my toque to him- Lam is the same age as me, is a doctor, and now a prize-winning writer.
I can't really figure out a good way to segue to this next segment so I'll just totally change the subject abrubtly.
Yesterday at the G, Griffyn sat with Michelle and me, enjoying the jazzy Epiphany concert. 'Uncle' Crogdor was playing his big upright bass like he always does, but then switched to guitar later in the set. Griffyn, who is not quite four, but has always admired guitar players and emulated them to comic effect, was astonished. "I didn't know Craig could play the guitar!" he said.

No comments: