Saturday, January 06, 2007

Some Random Saturday Stuff

Michelle gave me a Roald Dahl boxset for Christmas. I loved him when I was a kid- The Enormous Crocodile was one of my favorite books, and my Grade 1 teacher read us James and the Giant Peach. I was almost trepidatious to reread him as an adult, lest the magic be lost, but I am happy to say they are just as great to read as an adult.

You know how George Lucas always said the Star Wars Trilogy was basically a silent movie with sound effects? Or something like that. Anyways on YouTube there is a fun little SW mashup done as a silent movie. And since you're there you might as well watch that great missed-empty-netter that allowed the Oilers to tie up the game against Dallas with two seconds left.

Yesterday coming home from work we almost hit the ditch. (We being me, Jason and Jamie who drive out together to save some time.) We didn't so no big deal, but it was funny to hear Jamie screaming like a little girl "We're gonna hit the ditch!!!!" He served in Afghanistan with the Light Infantry. OK, he wasn't actually screaming like a little girl but you can bet I'll say it that way every time I tell the story at work. Thanks to Jason for keeping his cool and keeping us on the road. I was then inspired to go buy Corb Lund's CD since we were rocking out to that all week. Or countrying out to it I guess. Michelle is shocked that I would buy country but this is more old-school. And he's from Alberta. Plus he was in the Smalls.

Did anyone watch Lady in the Water? Did you notice how M Night plays the writer whose work will someday save the world? And the only unlikeable human character is a film critic who says things like "There is no originality left in the world. I have resigned myself to that fact long ago." Later someone says of the critic (after he screws up without ever being told he was being asked something important) "What kind of person would be so arrogant as to presume the intention of another human being?"

Congratulations to my friends Trevor and Christina who recently welcomed twins into the world! This now gives them four kids under four years old! Holy smokes. They named the boy twin Nathan, which is almost as good as naming him Little Homie.

No comments: