Friday, October 12, 2007



I was sitting in the oiler's chair having a bit of a snooze yesterday morning when Vic, the operator, suddenly jumped up and told me to take over because he had to go. Shaking off my drowsiness, I let Vic down off the shovel and swung around to load the next truck. But the next truck wouldn't make his turn and instead sat there looking at me. I honked my horn to wake him up, and he made his turn, but still failed to back up. Now he was holding up production and I had no idea why. What he was doing would be the equivalent of, say, a bagboy at your grocery store just staring at your groceries. Finally I had to call him up on the radio, with my sternest shovel operator voice- "32 truck- are you broke down or something? Why aren't you backing up?"
"Because your bucket's empty," he said.
Which would be sort of like, say, the referee at a hockey game barking at the players to faceoff when he didn't have a puck.

Anyways, I took a bunch more photos. Sadly I didn't get any pics of the two bears I saw the other day.

Does anyone know where I can find a good triobite? I want one. Here in Alberta there aren't too many trilobite beds that I know of- most of the fossils in this area are of the less glamorous and more obscure family of beast known as dinosauria. I just want a nice Phacops or something!

No comments: