Tuesday, November 10, 2009

People who know me in real life describe me in various ways- my buddy Robin sums me up pretty well- "Nathan is a man who enjoys his grapes." Griffyn just describes me as "Michelle's friend" even though he's known me all his life and Michelle is just a pretty blonde newcomer. Oh well. No bitterness.
In my whole life I don't think anyone has ever described me as "organized", "neat" or "totally NOT absent-minded". Which is why I occasionally get $230 tickets from the police. Like today. I wasn't speeding or really doing anything wrong so I was a little unsure why the RCMP cruiser started following me. I was coming home from nightshift though and it is weird how often the police pull me over just because I am kind of scruffy looking. They kind of poke around and when they see no evidence of guns or drugs they let me go on my way. A minor annoyance but I'm happy when they do catch guys smuggling the nogoods.
Anyways he pulls me over and says he ran my plates and I don't have a valid driver's license! What? I've had one for almost 20 years you silly officer! Then I remember my recent (well, two months ago actually) 35th birthday. Ah sh^t! You gotta renew it every five years. It never even crossed my mind. In my defense I didn't get a notice in the mail. But on the other hand, it is very possible the unopened notice is somewhere here on my desk as I type. Yeah so, I didn't argue with the cop who was actually really nice. Especially considering I couldn't produce proof of insurance, which is also likely on my desk somewhere. The constable pointed out that not having insurance is a $2500 fine but he gave me the benefit of the doubt that I did have insurance. He also said he could impound my car if he so chose but he cut me slack on that too. Considering it didn't start this morning like it does (or not does) every time it gets a little chilly I almost wisht he would impound it. Then they could just keep it and I'll hitch-hike everywhere from now on.
So anyways, he took my expired license and traded it for a $230 ticket. I guess we can call it my not paying attention tax.