Monday, November 02, 2009

So it turns out there's a new Battlestar Galactica DVD out- sort of new, anyways. It's called The Plan. And if you haven't seen it or seen all of Season 4 yet then I invite you to go check out these cool shots of a sperm whale munching on a giant squid instead because here there be spoilers, so be warned.

Okay then. The Plan was alright. It was a bonus BSG movie when you thought it was all over forever, right? So nothing to complain about there. In fact, thanks all you BSG guys! That was nice of you!
Most of the new footage was what the Cylon agents were up to in the early seasons. It kind of fleshes out why the Cylons abruptly changed their minds about completely wiping out every single human being at the end of Season 2.5. (There's been a change of plans . . . sorry about killing all those billions of people!) And then there's some new footage of Final Five guys, mostly Tyrol and Sam.
The trouble is, all that Final Five stuff felt like retconning to me. It felt like Ron Moore put all the characters into a hat and drew 5 out and those were the last Cylons. Whatshername I don't care about (Tory?), Sam I guess I can accept, Ellen I just don't buy and I refuse to accept Tigh and Tyrol as Cylons. That was just some hallucination like Baltar's Six. The trouble is, having them be Cylons ruins their character arcs up to that point, and Tigh's story in season 3 especially is absolutely wrenching. But not if he's a Cylon!
And don't even get me started on the whole Earth is a radioactive cinder except when it's not thing. The more I think about the last season, and specifically the finale, the less satisfied I am with it. In my mind BSG ended when they found Earth and it was dead. And there were no Final Five. So, I guess everyone dies or wanders space forever which is a downer but at least it's not completely baffling. I sort of hoped The Plan would explain some of that stuff better but oh well. Even though I voice these complaints I still consider BSG my favorite TV show ever and really miss those guys.