Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Here's some books I've read lately:
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson- I like girls with dragon tattoos, I even know a few. If Fell Beasts can be considered dragons. And full grown vampires can be called girls. But anyways, good book. I hope the movie is good. Currently reading the second one, I think it is better. Michelle just finished the third one and says it's the best. I just like saying Lisbeth Salander. Fröken Salander. Interesting fact- the original Swedish title is Män Som Hatar Kvinnor (Men Who Hate Women)
The Lovely Bones, Alice Sebold- this one pulled me in right away, I mean I'm the father of a little girl right? After a while I was just waiting for it to be over however. The ending was worth getting to, though. I wonder if the movie is good? Peter Jackson directed it so I don't see how it couldn't be.
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, Alan Bradley- another mystery series, but in a genre that usually has sadistic serial killers and brutal sexual crimes, this one really is 'sweet', mainly because the main character is a 12 year old girl who loves chemistry, especially poisons.
Dry, Augusten Burroughs- I think I'm all caught up on his memoirs now. Not as funny or twisted as Running With Scissors, not quite as harrowing as A Wolf at the Table. As you can probably tell from the title, all about his battle with alcoholism.
Over to You: Ten Stories of Flying, Roald Dahl- one amazing fact that is generally not known about the world famous author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Fantastic Mr Fox and James and the Giant Peach is that he was an honest to god Flying Ace in World War II. I would say he was a hero of the first degree. This is a collection of short stories about flying and pilots. Some of them are quite lovely, with a recurring theme of, I dunno how you would say it, not fantastic elements per se, but more of that thin place in between life and death that pilots like him in wartime lived in constantly.
Oh yeah and I picked up Marvel's recent adaptation of Wizard of Oz, mainly because I know the artist Skottie Young's work through deviantArt. Beautiful.

No comments: