Thursday, July 15, 2010

I hope I never have cause to regret saying this, but I honestly think I just survived the worst week I will ever have as a pumpman. It was beyond ridiculous. It strains my meager writing skills to describe it. Like, I wish there had been a camera crew following me around so I could just show you. Maybe I can break it down, give you the merest of snapshots.
Monday: Crazy. It snowed all day. Rivers of water were pouring into CC3 (and everywhere else) and we were in danger of losing it altogether. Our only defense? My poor tired pumps that have been chugging along 24-7 these past many months. It sure would suck if one of them broke down hey? Anyways, on the bus ride home I was dozing and someone saw a bear so I instantly woke up and looked out and was amazed to see a type of bear not normally native to these parts. "Panda!" I shouted excitedly. Except it was a grizzly with two-tone fur like all the other ones we have around there. Everyone was looking at me, the world renowned bear expert, so I recovered by saying, "Doesn't she look a lot like a panda? You know, sort of? A little bit you have to admit. Ah f*ck you guys."
Tuesday: Still snowing. Yes, it is July. At 10:30 or so we lost one of the booster pumps in CC3. And the electric ones were coming ever closer to drowning. Tic toc the party never stops. They order a new pump (because there's no sense in having a spare on site right?) and it would arrive at 2:00. Of course it didn't. 4:30 at the latest. Okay maybe 6. Hey Nathan can you work overtime so we can put this pump in? Thanks. 8:30 at night it shows up. 12:30 AM I leave the minesite, in bed by 1:20. Up in time to catch the bus to work at 5:10.
Wednesday: Good thing there's a safety meeting first thing in the morning, I'm so tired it will be nice to sit still for a minute- I haven't even had time for a coffee break yet this week. Oops there's my boss pulling me out of the meeting to fix the pipe that blew apart when the electric pump failed for the umpteenth time this week. I've never seen anyone pulled out of a safety meeting before. Oh well. It was not too bad of a fix, not like the pipe that burst later that day. Hey did I mention that shovel 10 up in Prospect has been drowning all week too? Yeah, gotta get up there to fuel that pump and pull the suction line to desilt it and on and on and on. Also the haulroad is more of a haulriver, and even worse, the actual river is getting contaminated. All my problem!
Today: Might not be a bad day today! I actually have time to head down to the other end to check on some pumps that I have been assuming on faith are running all this week. But at 6:45 (my shift starts at 6:30) I get the call- "260 Nathan, we need you to grab your biggest pump and get up here, the culvert above shovel 10 has failed and it's a waterfall!" Yeah okay, I'll just throw a thousand pound pump in the back of my truck and head right up there. Who's idea was it to buy the cheap, thin-walled culvert again? Pretty sure it wasn't mine.
Well, we were still pumping out of CC3 at the end of my shift. Shovel 10 might not be alive anymore when I go back on shift, but we didn't lose anything on my watch.
Anyways, now I'm on holidays. Sandy Eggo!
Oh yeah plus I had to kill a deer on the way home. With a hatchet. That wasn't fun.

No comments: