Saturday, March 05, 2011

Alla time putting out fires. This one was just a little one, but it was definitely on fire. My friend Tim was taking an ancient 100-ton watertruck down to the shop to get it fitted with a Wenco GPS tattletale system. Why an old sumpsucker like that needs a GPS system is beyond any logic mortal man can fathom but whatever. I was in my Kress zooming down a hill towards him and I saw sparks. So I called him on the radio to say there's sparks, there might be fire but it might be just his gridbox or something(yeah Tim you got sparks, not sure if you're on fire, no, doesn't look like it), as I got closer I saw there was definitely flames coming out of his wheel motor (You have to stop Tim. You're on fire), so I skidded to a stop and then I put the fire out. One and a half extinguishers, pretty piddly really. All in a night's work. On the incident report, on the part where they ask what actions can be taken to prevent this from happening again, I wrote, "Oh I dunno. To be honest it's a lot of fun putting out fires so let's not change anything." My foreman made me cross that part out.
A guy on my crew, buddy of mine, his house burned down earlier this week. No one in his family was hurt but they lost everything. Crazy. Definitely not fun and games anymore. I can't even imagine and don't want to imagine it happening to my family.

No comments: