Tuesday, March 22, 2011

By sticking to the basics I was actually able to make a decent supper for my family for once in my life. Bacon and egg sandwiches on fresh buns from Cobbs bakery. Pretty good. Only one fire alarm but it wasn't even really my fault, the buns were too thick for the toaster and they were burning on the heating elements. This is the fourth week of a brave new era where I make supper once during a set of days off.
The first time I looked in a recipe book and found one that sounded good, some sort of shrimps-on-a-bun with a sauce and everything. So I made it just like the recipe said, but the shrimps were all cold and clammy and nobody liked it very much at all.
The second week I started flipping through recipe book at 4:30 that afternoon, only to discover that all of the good ones required prep work the night before! Who knew? So Michelle gave me a free pass to go get something from Dairy Queen. Pallas somehow knew what I was going to do because she ran and got her shoes and said "Daddy, Pallas go McDonnos!"
Last week was also quite delicious. It was a sort of ginger beef stirfry. So yummy! It also required some thawing and prep work the night before. I was in Hinton working overtime so I asked Michelle to do that part. You know, get the meat out of the freezer for me please honey. Yeah but you also have to make the marinade sauce the night before. Oh . . . would you mind doing that too? So all I really had to do was boil some rice and dump all the stuff in a frying pan.
That gives me a great idea for a recipe book, all the recipes would go something like this:
Step 1- get your partner to do all the work the night before.
Step 2- take all the credit!

No comments: