Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A few years ago I walked into a comic shop and asked what was good. The guy handed me the first TPB of Invincible, saying it was easily the best superhero comic being made at the moment. So I bought it, read it, and though it was good I wasn't blown away by it. I decided to give it another chance since my library has 3 huge Ultimate Collections of it. Now I see what the guy was talking about. Turns out I just need to hold out one or two more issues for things to really pick up.
What else. I also read a collection of Alan Moore's DC stories, pretty cool, especially for mid-80s. What was really cool was this one story about Abin Sur, Hal Jordan's predecessor as Green Lantern of Space Sector 2814. In it, Abin goes to the planet Ysmault where the Empire of Tears is banished. He meets Qull of the Five Inversions, crucified with a Green Lantern pin. Qull tells him a prophecy in which "the weaponers of Qward, Ranx the Sentient City, and the unspeakable Children of the White Lobe" rise up against the Green Lantern Corps. Sodam Yat will perish and the planet-form Green Lantern Mogo will be the last to fall when Ranx explodes a blink bomb within his core. Pretty much the outline of the Sinestro Corps War arc that Geoff Johns wrote more than 20 years later. I thought that was pretty cool.
Speaking of which, I'm trying to read the Blackest Night arc but getting it all in order from the library is tricky, though I do own the Green Lantern Blackest Night hardcover. I'm not even sure what order they all go in. On the plus side, that's the worst of my troubles.
Also I read Aliens Omnibus Volume 1. It was kind of . . . hit and miss. Oh well. I put in my Aliens DVD to watch while I run on my treadmill but my iMac's DVD player has been quitting for no reason lately. Plus I need a new mouse. Plus my iTunes is in need of an upgrade so I can upgrade my iPod touch and run my iPad off it. BUt in order to do that I have to upgrade my OS X which costs $130. PLus I need more RAM. And an external hard drive would be nice. So really, rather than spend $100 here and $200 there, might as well just wait a bit and buy a new iMac. Right? Right! If only all my troubles were so easily solved. Like, which friggin Blackest Night edition needs to be read first? It doesn't say! So stressful.

No comments: