Friday, January 30, 2004

Not to be morbid, but given the choice, I would rather die at the hands of a grizzly than be struck by lightning. Seems more fitting. Yet, according to this National Geographic special on grizzlies that I saw, you are far more likely to be struck by lightning than eaten by a bear.
So I started wondering, just what exactly are my odds of death by Thor vs death by Ursis?
I didn't find any actual Vegas-type numbers, but I found out some interesting things. In BC, for example, between 1969 and 1997, there were 133 people killed by animals, with a nearly 50-50 split between wild and domesticated animals. Horses were responsible for 47 deaths, while bears killed 19. So did moose, actually, though those were all as a result of a car crash. And bugs killed 16 people. Who'da thought bugs were almost as lethal as bears? But by "bugs" I mostly mean bees and hornets. Here you can see a map of BC along with a graphic showing each animal-caused fatality. Just scroll to the bottom.
On more general terms, in the 1990s, bears caused on average about 3 deaths a year in North America. Lightning, on the other hand, killed 1318 people between 1980 and 1995 in the United States, or an average of 82 a year. Wow. I couldn't find any statistics about how many bears were struck by lightning, though I did find some far more disturbing things- between 1971 and 1996, there were 639 documented grizzly deaths, of which 627 were caused by humans.
So what it all boils down to is, a bear is far more likely to be killed by a human than the other way around. No surprise there, unfortunately. So, I guess being both bear and human, I have something like a billion percent chance of dying at the hands of my own kind.

No comments: