Monday, April 05, 2004

For some reason, I like apocryphal stories. I mean, when you get right down to it, my whole faith might be based on an apocryphal story (the faith comes in choosing to believe anyways), so I don't see the harm in entertaining stories that don't even claim to be based on "truth". (And if you add one little "o" to apocryphal, you get apoocryphal!) Since this is Holy Week, I thought I would share with you this one that I discovered earlier this year.
The legend says that the cross of Christ was made from Dogwood. God decided that from that point on, the dogwood tree would never again be used for making crosses, so He stunted its growth, making it too small to be used for crucifixes. Crucifi?
The dogwood flower has four petals that represent a cross, and the notch at the end of each petal echoes the wounds of Chist. The center of the flower is said to resemble a crown of thorns, and the bright red "fruit" is said to represent the blood of Christ. And it blooms in April, connecting it to Easter in that way, as well.
There is no such legend associated with the Bearwood tree. Possibly because there is no such tree as the Bearwood tree.

No comments: