Friday, April 23, 2004

More Pixiestuff:
The relief Worng felt at not being condemned to death almost caused him to cheer when Krindr pronounced banishment instead. That wasn't so bad, he thought. He watched Yggir's face change from horror to thoughfulness to her default excited look- apparently she had already absorbed the news and was looking forward to it. Frettnir, however, had that unreadable pinched expression he always wore, but Worng knew he would be angry and worried- he pretty much always was.
"Your Majesty, you are wise and merciful. We shall carry out our sentence with dignity, and strive to bring honor to your kingdom."
"Can we come visit?" asked Yggir.
Frettnir rolled his eyes, but kept silent. King Krindr gave Yggir a kindly smile, the type you give to people who have just said something dumb. "I'm afraid that is out of the question. But after a suitable time has passed we might let you come home some day."
"Oh," said Yggir, "well, at least we will be together."
The kindly smile again.
The pixies were each led to a different Faery Ring, which are the portals between worlds. On Krindr's command, they stepped through and emerged in a very strange and alien world, alone.
And now our story begins.

The Pixie Papers

Frettnir's Story

Febr 26
I hate it here. I know that's how I have started every journal entry since I got here, but it's true. But I had an epiphany today- I have determined the course of action I need to take. The humans all have jobs, and in order to fit in, I have to get one too. I don't really know how to get one, however. I think you just put on one of those odd garments they wear and go to the gigantic towers.
Febr 28
I hate it here. There are humans who behave exactly like frost giants in each one of those towers, and they will not let me get past them. One oaf even forcibly removed me from his pitiful little castle today. I wish Hrungir had stomped on him.
March 2
I hate it here. I have discovered that in the human world, everything rests on the concept of "Prior Experience". Am looking into spells to see if I can conjure some.
March 5
I really hate it here. Today I was in the park looking for a Faery Ring when I saw a human girl wearing a tunic-type thing, and it said "Death to the Pixies!" I was shocked, and a little frightened for my life.
March 17
I hate it here, but today at least I caught my first glimpse of other faeryfolk- leprechauns! They were a little drunk but they gave me some valuable information. I am apparently living in a city called Boston, and there is an established, though well-hidden, community of faeryfolk here.
March 24
I still hate it here, but have resigned myself to this fate. Life has settled into a routine of sorts. King Krindr gave us the ability to hide our wings from the humans, and to change size as necessary. So I live in a tree, like our ancestors, and in the morning I awake and head over to a nearby tavern sort of place that sells a bitter, non-alcoholic beverage called coffee. They don't sell mead. I purchase my coffee with money I receive from the caretaker of the park where I live. He pays me to tend his trees and plants and cook the odd meal for him. My pixie skills in both respects are superior to anything he has ever seen.
April 1
Today is the Day of the Fool, and I have been keeping my eyes open for any mischievous imps and spirits that might be about. I've come to realize that I can't spend the rest of my life here-I need to find my insufferable cousins. Even though it's their fault that I'm here in the first place. We need each other. Well, I need them at least . . . I hope they're alright.
April 3
I met some nice spirits today. I think they are sylphs, though I can't really tell, and I do not wish to appear ignorant by asking. Ever since our colony of Pixies migrated form Ireland to Asgard we have been pretty cut off from the other non-Norse faeryfolk. Anyways, they may be able to help me find Worng and Yggir- they told me to meet them tomorrow.
May 2
Those treacherous sylphs are actually sluagh! Sluagh! Cursed cretinous carrion-feeding crypt-defilers! How could I have been so stupid? They have kidnapped me and are keeping me in an iron bird-cage in the back of one of their wagons. I do not know what they have planned for me. I don't think they want to eat me, though- thay have had me for a month now and would have done so already if that was their plan. They have even given me back my journal, fiends though they are.

No comments: