Wednesday, August 18, 2004

It's not widely known, and in fact I can't find a single instance of it in the literature, but I happen to know that bears are occasionally prone to passing out (or fainting, though we don't like that term as much). Sometimes. Rarely. Hardly at all, really. I think it's some sort of false alarm hibernation thing. Bear biologists call it vasovagal syncope. Anyways, armed with this knowledge you will not be so surprised to learn that Homie Bear has, once or twice in his life, slipped into unintended unconsciousness. This in no way makes him any less of a bear. The first time it happened I was in the middle of an epic cross-Canada hitch-hiking trip, worn down and tired, getting a tattoo- I think my body's defenses were just stretched a little thin- you know how it is. Another time while giving blood and a third time I just keeled over in Tibet due to the altitude. The monks thought I was dead. Luckily I recovered before they sent me up to the sky burial site.
So I warned my tattoo artist yesterday that I may take a sudden and unexpected nap while she was working on me, and not to be alarmed if that should happen. But I am proud to say that I did not pass out! From this I believe it is therefore completely reasonable to conclude that I am cured and will not now have to worry about altitude sickness ever again. This sets my mind at ease.

BTW, if any of you Edmontonians are looking for a good tattoo parlour, Urge 2 on Jasper is the way to go.

No comments: