Saturday, August 07, 2004

Part 2 of this story.

"You were framed? What happened? Who are you?" asked Frank, gesturing for the whale to take a seat.
The whale began speaking in a peculiarly squeaky voice.
"My name is ^~~~/<*>\~~~^ [this is the transliteration of the series of squeaks and whistles that the whale made at this point,]which has no analog in either Squatchee or English, but evokes both the rolling imagery of a sine wave function and the elation one feels when riding such a wave in pursuit of prey. However, you can call me Orrek."
"Can I call you Mr. Whale?" said Frank.
"Call me Orrek. We're not actually whales, us orcas. We are dolphins. And we are not killers either, though we are predators. I should say rather we are not murderers and that is why I seek your help today, Mr. Omah. You have heard of the disappearance of Ray Tanner? It has been all over the news today."
Frank looked at his copy of Weekly World News. He didn't see anything about Ray Tanner in there. "Um, I'm not really familiar with that case." If Frank had been a slightly better detective he would have kept better tabs on the local news.
"Ray Tanner is, or was, a real estate developer here in town, and lately he's been sniffing down by the river where I live, preparing a proposal to develop a new megabox shopping complex, which obviously I strenuously object to- the whole reason I left the oceans to live in the river is to get away from human encroachment. He was last seen two days ago, scouting out more locations at the river. There were signs of a struggle found near the riverbank, and several dead fish, which I believe were left deliberately to frame me. His truck was found nearby. The cops have concluded, even without a body, that he is dead and I did it, since I have both the motive and the means to dispose of him. Being a dolphin, I have no right to a trial or anything- the Department of Fish and Wildlife will either shoot me or just tranquilize me and relocate me to the Alaskan Panhandle. Hence my disguise."
Frank regarded Orrek's bright yellow rain slicker and hat dubiously. "That's a disguise? Maybe we need to get you to a safe house. I'll take your case. Umm, will you pay with cash or credit?"
"I can pay you in salmon, would that be okay?"
"Yeah that's fine, I guess."

No comments: