Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Finally, an Illustration Friday-type thing for writers like me! And you? Maybe! Much as I love browsing the IllFri, not being able to draw hampers my ability to take part by 100%. But I can write. So take a look at the Ten Word Wednesday challenge. You get ten words you have to incorporate into a poem. I jotted the words down on my notepad and went to the nearby SCup and came up with this- a poem loaded with fun and horror, if not literary merit (required words in unobtrusive grey):

Again, the ancient abomination awakens
virile vileness, destruction distilled, poetic putrescence
an ode to obscenity, reality’s requiem
its carapace a spiked and spiny agglomeration of illogical hues
the interstices of a thousand incisors crusted with remnants of exotic nourishment
neutronium-eyed, its stomach a black hole, a pulsar for a brain
it roars and the soundless vacuum shudders
the celestial spheres stop spinning, dismayed
as the unvanquishable avatar of avarice and annihilation
arises from the ooze, emerging from the dark matter that was its lair
in answer to an inexorable summons from the lesser dimensions
a tiny sprite, wingéd and naked, whistles a trill
and giggles in glee when her puppy comes running

Anyways, I just have to tell you how much I love Sinéad O'Connor's "Emperor's New Clothes." Thanks to XM Radio for introducing it to me. No thanks to FM radio for hiding it from me.

No comments: