Thursday, February 08, 2007

It was Michelle's birthday not too long ago so I got us tickets to the Barenaked Ladies concert last night. The Ladies are Michelle's favorite band. And they remind me of our honeymoon- we tuned into Live 8 on our wedding night while waiting for room service, we danced in broad daylight on Main Street in Antigonish to their song One Week, and I bought her a copy of Maroon in North Sydney while we waited for the ferry to Newfoundland. So you can see that tickets to the show was a pretty brilliant birthday gift.
What a great show, too. I'm used to the Rexall Wall of Fuzz, where bands like tool or System of a Down turn up their amps to 11, so the singers sound like the adults in a Charlie Brown cartoon. Mwah mwah mwah mwah. But BNL just played at a nice, mellow volume and I could actually hear all the instruments. And I could understand the between-song banter, much of which was about Battlestar Galactica. Another reason to love the Ladies.
My favorite BNL song is Pinch Me, which also reminds me of our honeymoon, driving all around the Maritimes in our rental car Seamus, yelling out "Under where?" after every line. That was their first encore song and they nailed it.
Michelle says "I cannot articulate it any better than 'fucking awesome!'"
You can read the Sun's review of the concert here.

No comments: